Leech therapy is a medical practice extending from the past to the present and attracts attention in the field of alternative medicine.
This treatment, which is performed by placing leeches on the skin, is preferred by many as a method that is thought to provide various skin benefits.
Leeches are known to contribute to the treatment of certain health problems by increasing blood flow, reducing inflammation and stimulating lymphatic drainage.
In this article, we will give you information about the effects and benefits of leech on the skin.
- Acne and Acne Treatment: The enzymes secreted by leeches are thought to have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects. Therefore, leech therapy can help some people achieve positive results in acne and acne treatment. However, more research is needed on this subject.
- Increasing Blood Circulation: Placing leeches on the skin prevents blood from clotting through biting and the enzymes they secrete. This can help increase blood circulation and improve blood flow to the skin. Better blood circulation can contribute to the delivery of more oxygen and nutrients to skin cells and support the overall health of the skin.
- Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory Effects : Some components secreted by leeches may have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. These properties can neutralize free radicals in the skin, reducing oxidative stress and relieving inflammation in the skin.
- Correcting Skin Tone and Adding Brightness: Increasing blood flow in the skin with leech therapy can help the skin look more vibrant and bright. Regular leech therapy can even out skin tone and improve the overall appearance of the skin.
- Sebum Balancing: Leech therapy can help balance sebum production in the skin. Sebum refers to the skin’s natural oil. The enzymes secreted by leeches can help regulate sebum production in the skin. This can reduce sebum secretion in oily or combination skin types and contribute to mattification of the skin.
- Removal of Traces and Stains: Leech therapy can help reduce the appearance of scars and blemishes on the skin in some people. The enzymes secreted by leeches can support the regeneration of skin cells and the healing of damaged skin tissue. This can contribute to the reduction of acne scars, sunspots or other skin blemishes.
If you want to learn more about leech therapy and are considering applying it, it is important to consult a dermatologist or a qualified healthcare professional.