Earthquake, one of the natural disasters affecting our country, has been causing physical and mental health problems in recent days. The psychological reactions of people after the earthquake may show different characteristics in the person. So, how to deal with post-earthquake anxiety disorder, which goes up to psychiatric dimensions?
Due to the earthquake in recent days, many people; loses their home, health or relatives. It also causes traumas in the psychology of people who were pulled out of the rubble after a natural disaster that caused many material and moral destruction. Traumas, which are reflected in their feelings, thoughts and behaviors, give different reactions in each person. It seems that this situation causes stress disorder not only in those who feel the earthquake, but also in those who follow the earthquake through communication tools. Knowing the risk factors that will facilitate the emergence of mental disorders after a disaster or exposure to disaster events facilitates intervention during encountering mental health problems.
HOW DO WE DEAL WITH ANXIETY AFTER THE EARTHQUAKE?
- Take care to breathe slowly when you feel anxious.
- People with pre-existing mental illness should stick to their treatment plan.
- Care should be taken to establish social connections
- Care should be taken not to deviate from normal routines.
- Emphasis should be placed on being on open lines of communication
- Children and young people may ask the same question again because of anxiety, shock and panic. They should be allowed to ask these questions
WHAT SHOULD WE DO TO PROTECT OUR PSYCHOLOGY AFTER THE EARTHQUAKE?
After the earthquake, the person may face situations such as fear, not knowing what he is doing, not feeling emotions, not being able to perceive the environment he is in. What we can do to protect our psychology after the earthquake;
- Do not avoid talking about the events and situations you experienced at the time of the earthquake.
- Avoid repressing your feelings, thoughts, fears and sadness
- Share your feelings and thoughts about the earthquake with your relatives
- These symptoms and situations that should be applied vary from person to person. However, if these complaints and conditions do not decrease, you can get psychological support from a specialist.