Also known as the bitter melon or karela, a tropical plant species exists in the form of an ivy that blooms and bears fruit in summer. This plant is used in the pharmaceutical and food industries. When ripe, it turns red and orange, its taste becomes bitter and its vitamin values decrease, so it is important to harvest it before it is fully ripe.
There are red and multi-grained small seeds in the fruit and it is recommended not to consume these seeds. The outer surface of the plant is spiny and can reach 8-15 cm in size when mature. Bitter melon can be consumed as a fresh fruit, or it can be consumed by mixing olive oil and honey. This plant, which is known by different names in different regions, is also known as strange apple or papara in our country.
The content of bitter melon is very rich and contains nutrients such as magnesium, zinc, potassium, phosphorus, beta carotene, sodium, vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin B and vitamin D.
In this way, potency pomegranate has a number of benefits:
- It helps to remove harmful toxins.
- It keeps diabetes under control and lowers blood sugar.
- Supports respiratory system health.
- It contributes to blood circulation.
- It helps in the treatment of diseases such as colitis, gastritis and ulcers.
- It increases night vision and protects eye health.
- It is effective against infectious diseases.
- It reduces the symptoms of upper respiratory tract disorders.
- It is good for hair loss.
- Relieves skin problems and ailments.
- It relieves constipation and indigestion by regulating the digestive system.
- It supports cardiovascular health and lowers bad cholesterol levels.
- It contributes to bone development.
- It helps in the weight loss process.
There are different methods to consume bitter melon. One method is to mash the mighty pomegranate with the help of a spoon and add 1 teaspoon of honey to it and consume it. Consuming this mixture on an empty stomach in the morning helps to increase body resistance.
Potency pomegranate can also be consumed with olive oil. For this, the seeds of the mighty pomegranate are removed and cut into small pieces and placed in a glass jar with olive oil.
The jar is closed and kept for at least 40 days, and during this time, potency pomegranate becomes soft and viscous by mixing with olive oil. In addition, those who want to consume potency pomegranate in beverage form can consume the fruit in liquid form by passing the fruit through a blender along with water, salt, ginger, turmeric powder and lemon juice.
In addition to the vitamins and minerals it contains, bitter melon is a rich source of nutrients with components such as alkaloids, quarantines, glycosides, fixed oils, steroids and saponins.
Therefore, it can be used as a food supplement. It is a powerful source of antioxidants while helping to regulate the digestive system and can help reduce acne breakouts and rejuvenate the skin. It can be used in the treatment of skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema, as well as consumed locally or in capsule form.