Oil pulling is a practice for oral and dental health and mainly involves gargling with vegetable oils.
This method is carried out using natural oils, especially coconut oil or sesame oil.
For oil pulling, experts say that this practice improves oral hygiene, cleans bacteria and toxins in the mouth, and provides various health benefits.
In this article, you can learn more about what oil pulling is, how it’s done, and its alleged benefits.
- Choose a suitable vegetable oil for oil pulling. You can choose a natural and organic oil in liquid form, such as coconut oil or sesame oil.
- In the morning, start oil pulling on an empty stomach. Take about 1-2 tablespoons of oil to clean the bacteria and toxins accumulated in the mouth.
- Gargle by rinsing the oil in your mouth. During this time, move your tongue to spread the oil in every corner of your mouth. Keep agitating the oil for about 15-20 minutes or at least 3-5 minutes. Remember that do not swallow the oil, as there may be bacteria and toxins accumulating in it.
- Spit out the oil at the end of the time. You can see that the oil has become white and foamy. Rinse your mouth well with warm water and then brush your teeth.
Some of the claimed benefits of oil pulling are:
- It can help clear bacteria and toxins by improving oral hygiene.
- It can reduce bad breath and provide a fresh breath.
- It can support gum health and reduce the risk of gum disease.
- It can strengthen tooth enamel and have a protective effect against dental caries.
Oil pulling can be difficult for some people and can cause dry mouth or stomach upset. Also, it’s important to remember that oil pulling does not replace brushing, flossing, and dental checkups.