According to the findings of the World Health Organization; Tooth and gum diseases are defined as one of the biggest health problems due to their prevalence and recurrence rates. Since the scientific dentistry education started on November 22, 1908, this date was accepted as the “Dentistry Day” in our country. So why do teeth rot and what should we do to prevent it?
Since scientific dentistry education started on November 22, 1908, this date has been accepted as “Dentistry Day” in our country. The week that includes 22 November is celebrated under the name of “Community Oral and Dental Health Week” every year. Atlas University Faculty of Dentistry Lecturer and Medicine Hospital Dentist Sozdar President warned to raise awareness of the society due to the 21-27 November Oral and Dental Health Week. Dentist Sozdar President said, “Oral and dental health is an important part of general health, vital functions and quality of life.” He made information-filled transfers for dental caries and precautions.
“THE MOST COMMON HEALTH PROBLEM”
Dentist Sozdar said, “Oral and dental diseases are among the most common health problems in almost all regions of the world. Oral and dental diseases that cause significant losses in terms of quality of life are caused by many health problems such as diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, growth-development retardation, preterm birth. “The number of evidence showing that it plays a role in the development of the problem is increasing day by day. Therefore, oral health problems should be prevented with preventive measures before they emerge, and when diseases occur, they should be treated quickly,” he said.
Continuing his dental discomfort, Sodar said, “Unfortunately, as the frequency of going to the dentist is low, the treatment of chronic and destructive oral-dental problems usually takes place at a time when the disease is very advanced. The delay in treatment disrupts oral, dental health and general health, while also reducing the budget allocated to health. Oral and dental health is an important part of general health, vital functions and quality of life.According to the determinations of the World Health Organization;
It defines dental and gum diseases as one of the biggest health problems faced by people due to its prevalence and recurrence rates.
ATTENTION TO DENTAL AND GOOD DISEASES
- Sugary, sticky or acidic foods should be consumed within three main meals.
- Between meals, foods such as apples and carrots that will clean hard teeth and massage the gums should be eaten.
- If it is not possible to brush the teeth after eating sugary, sticky food, the mouth should be rinsed with water or a glass of water should be drunk.
- Again, a piece of cheese to be thrown into the mouth after eating sugary food is extremely important in terms of eliminating the caries preventive effect of sugar.
- Proteins come first among foodstuffs that are considered tooth-friendly. These substances, which form the basic building blocks of our body, are foods that must be consumed both during the development of teeth and after the eruption of teeth, in terms of dental health.
- In addition to its high protein content, cheese is a highly recommended food, especially after consumption of sugary food, in terms of its importance in dental health.
- Peanut is also a tooth-friendly food among snack-type foods due to the phosphate it contains.
- Unrefined cereals (wholegrain brown bread instead of white flour bread) should be preferred for dental health.
WHY ROOT THE TEE AND WHAT ARE THE WAYS TO PREVENT IT?
Bacterial plaque consisting of bacteria in the mouth can form acid from the residues of sugary and floury foods in the mouth. These acids dissolve the mineral tissue of the teeth, causing the enamel of the teeth to deteriorate, resulting in the onset of dental caries and cavities that dentists call cavities.
- It is necessary to brush the teeth and use dental floss every day, especially after breakfast and before going to bed in the evening.
- Brushes should be of moderately hard or soft bristle and should be changed at regular intervals.
- Trying to consume sugary foods at main meals and trying not to eat anything between meals is another precaution.
- The role of fluoride in preventing tooth decay should be exploited by using a fluoride toothpaste while brushing.
- In cases such as teeth sensitive to hot and cold or painful teeth or chalky initial caries, brown discoloration and cavities, consulting a physician without delay will change the form of treatment and reduce its difficulty.