Breast milk, whose benefits and miraculous effects are endless, provides all the nutrients that babies need. It protects your baby, whose immune system is not yet strengthened, against diseases and increases body resistance. Therefore, the foods consumed by the mother and the nutritional supplements she takes during breastfeeding directly affect the quality and quantity of milk.
Child Health and Diseases Specialist. Dr. Mehmet Ali Talay made important statements about the foods that should and should not be consumed while breastfeeding.
Breast milk is a miracle for babies
Breast milk is a unique mixture offered to fully meet the baby’s nutritional needs and protect the baby against possible infections. The balance of nutrients in breast milk is in the ideal form and is in the most suitable form for the body systems of babies who have not yet completed their development. Breast milk, which we can call a miracle because its nutritional values are ideal for the baby, is also very rich in nutrients that enable the growth of the baby’s brain cells and accelerate the development of the nervous system. In addition, there are more than 100 components in breast milk that are not found in cow’s milk and cannot be produced in any laboratory. Moreover, unlike formula, the content of breast milk is constantly changing and renewing to meet the ever-changing needs of the baby. For example; The composition of breast milk for a premature baby differs from that for a full-term baby.
Foods that breastfeeding mothers should eat:
– Plenty of fruits and vegetables should be consumed,
– Energy is very important to produce milk. You should consume plenty of starchy foods such as rice and potatoes to provide energy.
– Rich in fiber; Pasta, rice, legumes, vegetables and fruits should be consumed,
– Foods rich in calcium should be included in the food list (such as milk, cheese, yoghurt, etc.),
– Plenty of water should be consumed (at least 2 liters),
– Dried fruits and nuts not only contain intense energy but also contain iron and calcium minerals. These foods can be consumed as snacks,
– Care should be taken to eat protein-rich foods such as meat, fish, beans and chickpeas,
– You should include one portion of meat and vegetables or dried legumes per day, as well as vegetables and fruits that are sources of vitamin C, which increase the body’s iron absorption.
– Iodized salt must be used. Because iodized salt is very important for baby development,
– Fish consumption is very important in the mother’s diet. Omega-3, DHA and EPA, which are found in fish and will pass to the baby through breast milk, are indispensable for the development of the baby.
Foods to avoid
– It is very important to prevent gas formation, which is the biggest fear of breastfeeding mothers. In this respect, the habit of eating slowly and chewing very well should be acquired.
– Extremely spicy foods should be avoided. Spices passed to the baby through breast milk cause discomfort to the baby. It may even cause effects such as stomach ache and vomiting.
– Although oranges and tangerines are rich in vitamin C, they should not be consumed in excess. Due to the amount of acid it contains, it may affect the digestive system and cause side effects such as gas and bloating.
– Carbonated and caffeinated drinks should be avoided and alcohol should never be consumed.
– Some foods have the ability to cause gas. For this reason, cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower should be avoided as much as possible.
– Delicatessen products such as sausages, sausages and salami should not be consumed too much.
– Omega 3, which is very important for the baby’s brain development, can be reduced by some foods. For this reason, saturated and trans fats should be avoided.
– Ready-made foods containing additives should be avoided.
– Ready-made frozen and cold foods should not be preferred.
Put your worries aside
First of all, it is important to point out this. Every mother has enough milk for her baby. For this reason, the mother should put aside her worries and anxieties and believe that her milk will be sufficient. It is also very important medically for the mother to believe that her milk will be sufficient. Because the oxytocin hormone, which allows breast milk to reach the baby through the ducts, is quite shy. In case of even the slightest stress or anxiety, secretion slows down and milk cannot reach the baby. This is exactly why all worries should be put to rest during breastfeeding. Apart from this, the amount of milk can be increased with small applications.
– Plenty of liquid should be consumed. Because the most effective factor in increasing breast milk is the amount of fluid consumed by the mother. The amount of daily fluid intake should be increased, especially by consuming water, soup, unsweetened fruit juice and compote.
– Whole grain foods, which are quality carbohydrate sources, should be preferred.
– Basil plant is known to increase breast milk when used regularly. For this reason, include more basil in your meals.
– Dark green leafy vegetables are very effective in increasing milk. For this reason, more greens such as arugula and parsley should be consumed.
– More space should be given to orange colored foods on the tables. Because foods such as carrots, pumpkins and melons play a very helpful role in milk formation.
– Most importantly, milk increases as you breastfeed. For this reason, the mother should breastfeed her child frequently and express her milk if necessary. Because the breast, which has a very intelligent system, begins to produce more milk as the milk in its reservoir is emptied.