The idea of giving a baby a bath causes fear in many people.
When and how to bathe newborn babies is one of the most frequently asked questions for all new parents.
When babies are first born, their bodies are covered with a substance called vernix.
This substance protects babies against microbes in the environment, so doctors recommend delaying the first bath for a few days.
Now let’s look at when and how babies should be washed.
How and when are babies bathed?
- You should wait a few days before giving your newborn baby his first bath.
- While bathing your baby, you should pay attention to the umbilical cord.
- It is recommended that newborn babies take a sponge bath until the umbilical cord falls off.
- After the baby’s umbilical cord has healed, you can take a tub bath.
- The recovery time of the cord varies between 1-4 weeks.
- After you start bathing your baby, it will be enough to wash 2-3 times a week.
- If you take a bath more than 2-3 times a week, the moisture balance may deteriorate and your skin starts to dry.
How to make a sponge bath?
- In order for your baby not to be sick in the bath, the room should be 24 degrees.
- Place your baby on a flat surface while bathing.
- Cover the rest of your baby with a towel, except the parts that you will wipe with a sponge.
- Start with the head and face first, do not use soap when washing the head.
- After wiping his head, you can add shampoo to your water.
- Clean your entire body with soapy warm water.
- Then rinse your sponge by dipping it in warm water and removing it.
- Your bath is over, you can dry your baby well.
How to make a bath tub?
- After the umbilical cord falls off and heals, you can start giving your babies a tub bath.
- Make sure that the water you wash your babies in is 37-38 degrees. You can measure the temperature of the water with a thermometer or with your wrist.
- While washing your baby, the place you should pay attention to is the head, massaging your baby with circular movements while washing the head will please your baby and help him relax.
- Until your baby is 1 year old, it will be enough to take a bath 2-3 times a week.
- If your baby cries while taking a bath, check the temperature of the water and the room. If she continues to cry despite everything, she may not like to be bathed.
- Get help from audible toys or calm music to make you love the bath.
- Pour 2-3 Liters of warm water into the tub, gently place it in the tub, supporting your baby’s head.
- Do not use the cloth you use on your body while washing your head.
- Shampoo your baby once or twice and then rinse.
- Start pouring the water from top to bottom so that it does not go into your ear.
- Do not keep it in the tub for too long, dry it quickly after rinsing so that it does not get sick.