Eating, drinking, breathing and sex are among the most important physical and spiritual needs for a human being. Sexuality may be perceived as an act triggered by the reproductive instinct, but sexual life is not just a tool for reproduction. Perhaps the most important of life’s pleasures. Pregnancy, which is the most important result of sexual life, may not always be planned.
Married or single, every woman’s greatest freedom; should be able to get pregnant whenever she wants, should be protected from pregnancy when she doesn’t want to.
Conceiving in unprotected relationships may already be expected or even desirable according to the plan. However, sometimes a woman can get pregnant even if she uses a birth control method that is known to be the most effective.
Unplanned pregnancies; affects many projects and maybe even causes irreparable negativities.
Academic and economic plans can be turned upside down. This is where birth control methods come into play. The use of an effective contraceptive method during periods when pregnancy is undesirable, although not 100% guaranteed, will protect the woman from becoming pregnant with a very close probability.
The ideal is not to abort an pregnancy, but not to get pregnant.
A woman is also not helpless when she somehow has a pregnancy that she does not want to continue, and in this case, it is possible to terminate the pregnancy with abortion.
What is Abortion?
Abortion means to scrape, it’s a French word.
– The inner lining of the uterus is cleaned by abortion and pregnancy is achieved.
– There are concepts such as curettage, miscarriage, and termination of pregnancy that are used in the same sense.
– If the continuation of pregnancy is not desired, an abortion is performed.
– If the continuation of pregnancy carries vital risks for the mother, or
– If vital problems are detected in the baby, the pregnancy is terminated; abortion or abortion is performed according to the week.
Is Abortion Optional?
– According to the “Family Planning Law” still in effect, women who do not want to continue their pregnancy can have an abortion at their own discretion.
– The legal limit for voluntary abortion is 10 (ten) weeks.
– It should be noted that abortion is not a birth control method.
– Ideally, women should use an effective contraceptive method when they do not want to conceive.
– However, it should be borne in mind that even the contraceptive methods that are supposed to “protect the best” can have a small problem of failure.
Women have the right to terminate pregnancies they do not want to continue, provided that it does not exceed ten weeks, and this right is under constitutional guarantee.
The state is obliged to provide this service free of charge. There are some conditions to get this service from the state; Spousal consent is required for married women.
In my opinion, this rule should be rearranged and “even if married, without the need for spouse’s approval”, the woman should be able to terminate her pregnancy by her own decision.
In couples who are in the process of divorce, sometimes men may have the right to prevent abortions with an opposite attitude.
Methods of Termination of Pregnancy
It is possible to terminate a pregnancy with several different methods.
– Abortion, or abortion, can be by vacuum or medication.
– In vacuum, plastic cannulas (pipette-like sticks) and negative pressure plastic syringes are used.
– Vacuum abortion is a method that is used safely in pregnancies not exceeding 12 (twelve) weeks.
– If the pregnancy is more than twelve weeks, our priority would be to have an abortion with medication.
Abortion, Vacuum or Medication?
It takes a while for abortion to occur with medication.
The reason for the time it will take for the drugs given to take effect;
– The beginning of contractions in the uterus and
– The formation of the opening in the cervix.
Vacuum cleaning is sometimes necessary after medicated abortions.
In medicated application, it may be necessary to clean the uterus with vacuum abortion, which cannot completely clean its contents.
– Vacuum abortion is completed in a single session.
– Vacuum abortion in pregnancies less than twelve weeks,
– Medicated abortion in pregnancies longer than twelve weeks,
is the most appropriate approach.
However, as in every treatment, it is necessary to decide with an obstetrician which method is the most appropriate for termination of pregnancy.
No woman should be forced to continue a pregnancy that she feels is not ready .
Vacuum abortion procedure; in the clinic, it is completed painlessly and in a short time by anesthetizing the patient.
Is Vacuum Abortion Painful?
There is pain in abortion, but this pain is prevented by the application of anesthesia.
– Local anesthetic (numbing) can be used for anesthesia,
– But still most convenient, with a needle in the arm short-term completely (general ) is numbing, which is called sedation .
– With the sleep provided in sedation anesthesia, no negativities related to abortion remain in mind.
– In local anesthesia abortions, the patient is awake, knows and remembers everything.
My advice; is to put the patient to sleep for a short time by injecting the arm in suitable patients, thus ensuring complete numbness, that is, abortion with sedation.
Does Anesthesia for Abortion Last Long?
– We wake up our patient as soon as the abortion is over in sedation.
Our patient can return to normal and daily activities within ten to fifteen minutes.
Before sedation, patients do not eat or drink anything for 4-5 hours, just like fasting, which makes anesthesia safer.
Is Ultrasound Required Before Abortion?
– The presence of pregnancy in the urine or blood is not sufficient to induce an abortion.
Before abortion, the pregnancy that has settled in the uterus must be seen with ultrasound, otherwise I postpone the procedure.
Is Every Patient Eligible for Abortion?
Yes, every patient.
– It is not possible for women who are too sick to have an abortion to continue the pregnancy anyway, so there is no patient who cannot have an abortion.
– It is necessary to determine the conditions of the place where the abortion will be performed according to the patient’s condition.
Practice for Abortion? Or Hospital?
– We are checking the general health status of our patient who applied for abortion.
– I evaluate the known diseases and the drugs he uses and decide on abortion conditions.
– The practice setting is usually sufficient for abortion.
Which Tools Are Used for Abortion?
Abortion is safely performed by vacuum method using plastic sticks (Karman cannula).
I can perform abortion easily and safely with the appropriately sized vacuum systems for each week of pregnancy.
Vacuum sticks used in abortion are disposable. It would not be appropriate to clean it for use on another patient.
Plastic straws used once cannot be like new, no matter how much they are cleaned and sterilized.
Is a Control Performed at the End of Abortion?
– As soon as the abortion is finished, it is necessary to make an ultrasound control as before and reduce the possibility of problems afterward.
– There may be slight pain and bleeding after an abortion. These can sometimes start after a few days but are not at a level to be alarming.
What Should Be Considered After Abortion?
– I recommend the use of preventive (prophylactic) antibiotics after abortion.
– In case of severe groin and abdominal pain, foul-smelling discharge, abortion, severe bleeding and high fever after abortion, we should contact you immediately.
When Can You Have First Sex After Abortion?
You should not have intercourse in the periods following the abortion because this increases the risk of infection.
It is necessary to wait 2-3 weeks for the first intercourse after abortion.
When Does First Menstrual Bleeding Occur After Abortion?
The first menstrual bleeding after abortion occurs in the range of about 3-6 weeks.
Bleeding in the days following abortion is not menstrual bleeding. It is the healing process of the uterus.
Is it possible to get pregnant after abortion without ever having a period?
Immediately after abortion;
– On the one hand, the uterus begins to heal and becomes ready for conception again,
– On the other hand, ovulation activity begins in the ovaries.
It should not be forgotten that there is a risk of getting pregnant again after abortion without menstruation, and it is necessary to use an effective contraceptive method to prevent this.
– Pill contraception or intrauterine device (spiral) are among the methods I recommend.
Can a spiral be inserted during abortion?
IUDs can be inserted immediately after cleansing the uterus with abortion.
It is very convenient to insert a spiral, which is an effective method of protection, while the patient is asleep with sedation.
In Which Situation Should Blood Incompatibility Injection Be Done After Abortion?
– If the mother’s blood group is Rh (-) negative and the father’s blood group is Rh (+) positive, there is a blood incompatibility and a blood incompatibility injection should be made.
– Blood incompatibility injection should be done within 3 days following the abortion, at least within 1 month.
– Blood incompatibility injection is done to prevent blood incompatibility disease in future pregnancies.
Is It Difficult To Get Pregnant After Abortion?
– There is no change in pregnancy potential after abortions performed properly.
Is It Dangerous to Have Abortions for First Pregnancies?
– There is no requirement to have given birth before an unwanted pregnancy.
– It’s okay to get a first pregnancy by abortion so you can get pregnant in the future.
Gynecology and Obstetrics IVF / Genital Aesthetics
Instagram : @uzayyildirim
YouTube : Op.Dr.Uzay Yıldırım
Facebook : /dr.uzayildirim